Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My new 15 minute addiction

Friend Dave was telling me about signing up for Facebook, though I was convinced that it was not for me because I am over 15 years old. With protests about how he had found and kept in touch with all sorts of adult-type friends, he convinced me that i too must try it. After all, my blogging clearly is not keeping me busy all the time, so I have few minutes to try to connect with those I've lost touch with.

The funny thing for me is not only have I found some long-neglected cousins and high school friends, but I love to peek into the lives of my "mommy" friends. There is a certain kind of image one feels they must maintain around the people they have met after they became a mom. Perhaps to fend off fears of CPS being called, or to battle that little voice inside that says occasionally, "They let you be in charge of a helpless human being?" Or there just isn't the proper time to mention all the fun and the mayhem that one made before making a baby. As a relatively new transplant to California, it is nice to get some background on the characters that I call friends, what their families look like, even "what drink would they be?"

Ok, that might not give you much insight into the window of one's soul, but sure makes for better conversation then, "How much sleep did you get last night?"

2 comments:

nicole said...

look at you...jumping on the facebook bandwagon...

And I'll Raise You 5 said...

I often marvel that the Mommy Goddesses let me be in charge of small people. It's a wierd world.

Facebook sounds WAY more interesting than the standard sleep tally...