Friday, September 5, 2008

My 2 Cents on Sarah Palin

Someone recently asked me, "being a young woman, a student, a mother of two, and a wife, what do you think about Palin?" It made me think a little about whether I thought she was a good pick (my knee jerk reaction was " that crazy gun-slinging Republican, of course not!") searched my soul around to an admission that I had to say I kind of admire her a little, then I responded as follows.
Ohhhh, well, I have to say, something about her does appeal to me- I like that she seems to be doing it all- the kind of woman who can be a mother, pretty, smart, driven and still likeable. That being said, I don't believe that anyone who believes in creationism or thinks it should be taught in schools has enough reasoning or common sense to be running our country and she seems to have a "my way or the highway" Bush-like approach to governing. Her right-wing, frontierland views might be fine for Alaska but don't represent the majority of the country, and do I need to use her daughter as an example that abstinence-only sex ed doesn't work?

There it is. My 2 cents.

4 comments:

jointconcepts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cory8itall said...

When I saw her during her acceptance speech last Friday, I said to myself,"oh crap.". She does have some serious appeal, and there's a huge percentage of America that will idolize her. She's attractive, tough, hunts moose, a hockey mom, and lives in Alaska, America's last frontier. It's been proven that the Republicans can get away with just about anything thanks to their often childish, advertising borne, sloganeering tactics and strategic amnesia; tactics that tend to resonate with a large childish constituency, so her experience won't be an issue. Here's a great example of how the "media" (I say media sparingly since FOX news is about as "media" as the Today Show or The Colbert Report) can perpetuate such double-standard history shuffling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmNk23vEYI
-Cory Osborn, curious son of a Bush-supporting Republican mother

nicole said...

Only 2 cents, come on!
Okay, as a person who believes creationism should be taught (along side evolution) in our public schools I would like to state my unofficial opinion on the matter. I say unofficial as I am not a citizen of this country and can not vote. As for Palin, she seems, as you say, nice, likable, smart, pretty etc etc and sure she probably is more charismatic than McCain and takes the media eye off his private life for the time being. I think it is time to see more women in leadership roles in this country so we can open our eyes to the many pressures women take on to "prove themselves". I do wonder how she could help run a country with a special needs kid, as I know that it can take oodles of time, emotion and runs you ragged and my child is only deaf. I wish her well but if I was voting I'd still say Obama, all the way! That's my 2 cents. Not that you asked.
Wait, that's not all...I am so tired of the ads that I am anxious for November!

cory8itall said...

The reason that creationism is not part of the average American curriculum is because it is not founded through the scientific reasoning that embodies our civil structure. Of course, that system is equally founded on Christian morality, but the First Amendment is the First Amendment for good reason.
Creationism is a theory (just like Darwinism), but it is founded on abstract venues of thought that require more faith than reason. That being said, I think children should be inspired to search for their own spiritual being, but I don't think their perspectives should be pigeon-holed and summed up with religious theory. I have my reservations about science as well as creationism. I do believe that at the end of the day scientists are merely searching for "God" under a microscope, but the process is a series of rigorous tests, fact gathering, and data analysis.