Saturday, September 8, 2007

Mmmmm, tastes like summer



We get a box full of organic produce weekly from a local farm called Riverdog farm (http://www.riverdogfarm.com/) . Winter makes me consider cancelling as there are times I want to stand on our front porch and scream "No more kale!!", but summer boxes are full of a juicy, better-than-homegrown, beautiful bounty. First came apricots, then peaches so delicious we'd often eat them right at the box pick-up point. Then the tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers and onions came, perfect for what, of course? Gazpacho! I made another perfect batch tonight, and it is chilling in the refrigerator waiting for dinnertime. This time I made a change, following a recipe in Health magazine, which had me blend up 2 cups of cubed whole wheat bread into the tomato mixture. It made for a more hearty texture, but you'd never guess the addition of the bread. It would be a delicious light entree now, with a side of cheese toast and a beautiful green salad.
That is one of the things I've loved about getting the box-we've been getting it for about a year and a half now- I've learned to improvise with what we get weekly- if a recipe calls for onion, I use whatever I have on hand- red, white, spring or even shallots. Greens can be added to so many things, and yes, one can have too much of a good thing.


Martin visited his barber, Lamont, today. Nice haircut! Those of you who know how "thrifty" I am (some of you might call me even a little cheap) might be suprised that Martin isn't cutting his hair himself at home anymore. But it seems that my dislike of finding cut hair around the bathroom trumps my desire to save money, so off to the barber he goes, every two weeks. It always looks really nice too, though he did a good job as well.

No comments: