Sunday, January 27, 2008

Desperate Housewife



The comic strip above pretty much captures my panic last week at realizing that it would be nearly impossible for me to go back to work to exceed the amount of childcare costs that I would incur if I went back on a part-time basis. Don't get me wrong: though I complain loudly and often, about my kids making me crazy, I love being with them. The position of having to be with them, and not having an option out is a horribly suffocating feeling. It makes me feel lazy, panicky, claustrophobic and really disenchanted with an American system that leaves parents with the choice of unemployment or low-quality childcare in most cases. So, in order to see some light at the end of the tunnel: I will remain unemployed for 9 more months, and in the Fall do what I need to do to get full-time care for Ben and go back to school or get a job.

No comments: